Friday, December 19, 2008

Begin Today


The print above is by Kelly Rae Roberts. I follow her blog on a daily basis as she just moved to Seattle, recently had her first book published, and continues to nurture her creative spirit. Last week she had a sale at her Etsy boutique and I ordered the print above as well as one other. I truly meant to tell each of you about the sale here, but I got distracted with Christmas and all.

In a previous post I mentioned feeling stuck. Then I had this light bulb moment if you will. Yes, a lot has happened to me this year that I had no control over. However, I can control how I respond to everything and what I do now. Then I came across the print above that said, "Begin Today" and it just resinated with me. This has become my new mantra. Now this is a bit of an abbreviated verison of my story as I have been pondering what is next for me for months.

Based on the sequence of events this year I did not want to make any rash decisions. Basically I wanted to make sure that I made changes that were not solely emotional responses and were more clearly thought out plans. All this being said about a week ago I made some huge strides toward a new journey that I am very excited about.

First off, I resigned from my job. Yes, I know that the economy sucks, but stay with me here. I have done various sales jobs for years and I always seem to like them for a while, but my enthusiasm seems to fade fast. Finally I realized that if that is happening repeatedly then I needed to do something about it. I refuse to no longer take action on the things I can control so I resigned. My boss was completely understanding and said that I was a person to him first and an employee second and that he just wanted me to be happy. I mean who says that in corporate America today? So, I am helping him finish up some things in the next few weeks and then will be leaving.

Now if you recall I mentioned taking a trip and it is almost time for this journey. Now that I do not have to be back within a certain time period I am going to be staying a bit longer, wandering a bit farther, relaxing a bit more, and generally enjoying myself.

I should be back by early Spring and you may be wondering then what? Well, I am going to pick up some odd jobs and then I am going to start grad school to get my Masters in Education. You may be thinking where in the world did this come from. I had actually always wanted to be a teacher and then somehow in college I took another route. Now I feel as if I am finally coming back to what I was meant to do. I am excited about a career that I think I can find some fulfillment in and I think that I will appreciate teaching more now that I have pursued some other avenues. I am also really excited about some of the opportunities to teach abroad, etc.

So, I am really excited about this new journey. I feel like a ton of bricks has been removed from my shoulders. I look forward to keeping each of you abreast of what comes next. Here's to beginning today...

3 comments:

Shell said...

You are throwing caution into the wind and living my dream. When this trip happens, I hope that you will continue your blog while your gone. I need to live through you. This is me. This is my dream. I need to "see" you live it. Report back alot!!!!!!!!!

christy said...

Wow! How exciting! Good for you, girl.

And definitely report back while you are away.

Merissa said...

I'm excited about living vicariously through you as you travel so make sure you can still blog and show pictures!